History

The practice was founded in 1884 in Birmingham by Charles Ketley, with ‘Ketley’s Patent Offices’ later becoming Forrester Ketley & Co. Soon afterwards, a second office was established, in London.

In 1978, the partners of Forresters combined with the partners of Boehmert & Boehmert, a German firm of patent attorneys and lawyers, to form the partnership Forrester & Boehmert which handled European Patent applications. The partnership had offices in Munich, close to the European Patent Office. The Forresters patent attorneys spent regular periods in our Munich office, to familiarise themselves with the EPO and the city. That invaluable practice and our Munich office presence continues to this day.

In 1992, the partners of Forresters founded Forrester Mostek, which provided Intellectual Property services in the Russian Federation and the former USSR Republics.

In 2007, the partners rebranded Forrester Ketley & Co, Forrester & Boehmert, and Forrester Mostek as “Forresters”. The firm captured its ethos in the strapline, “Clear Direction”.

In October 2008, Forresters went into partnership with Potts Kerr & Co, an IP practice in North West England. Adding to our well-established offices in London and Birmingham, this new association gave us greater presence across the UK.

Between 2011 and 2013, we relocated all four of our offices. The new offices are modern premises in the heart of the four cities of Birmingham, Liverpool, London and Munich.

In 2017, the firm became a Limited Liability Partnership, with that year also seeing the opening of our newest office, in Southampton.